Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Better Part

Today's Gospel on Jesus visiting the house of Martha, Mariam and Lazarus, made me remind those occasions I visited my relatives and friends while on holidays at home in Poland.
On so many occasions I found myself sitting alone in the living room waiting for my hosts busy in the kitchen, trying to to do as best they could to show their respect and hospitality, preparing a special food for us. But yet I was feeling abandoned and lonely, as I did not intend to come to eat in people's houses! I just wanted to spend a happy hour or two with them, enjoying their company, enjoying their stories, sharing mine and feeling connected after long periods of missing each other...

I don't need special favors, I don't need special foods, I don't special attention. I want you. To be with me, to sit with me and talk to me sharing, feeling connected, feeling one. It is you I am after. It is your heart I am looking for. It is your mind I want to read. It is your soul I want to feel with my prayer and blessings...

In a week or so time I will fly to Poland for a few weeks, for medical checkup in hospital and for wedding Mass of my close friends. I will visit and meet my beloved ones, relatives and friends. I fear the same story will repeat. Visiting them and missing them as they will spend three quarters of the time in kitchen, busy with preparation of food, desserts and so forth. Please, no!

It is enough to sit and talk over one glass of mineral water and a simple sandwich, nothing else. Every single moment of our meeting is precious and I do not want you to waste it leaving me alone in the sitting or living room while you are there, alone as well. Please, no... Let our hearts rejoice, let our souls connect, let us be together and feeling one and blessed with our friendship and love. You deserve it and I deserve it as well.

2 comments:

  1. I was nearly dizzy on my virtual trip from Kiabakari to Tarime - what a journey and that awful bridge ( the stuff of nightmares)but it was all worth it. I loved reading all about the new priest's ordination and Mass in his own home next day -so wonderful for all his family. Every new priest is a powerful gift to the Church. We have so much to give thanks for- the gift of their lives to God's people. Delighted you are having a break in Poland and one that you deserve beyond a doubt. The women will want to keep you well fed so you will have to let them at it and talk to the men while they are cooking !!In Ireland that's what happens - men generally avoid the kitchen and like to be served, so enjoy the spoiling on all fronts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If so, I will move to kitchen. I don't want to be a burden to anyone and I want to meet people, not dishes!

    ReplyDelete